noun• informal , chiefly British
- 1A cigarette butt.More example sentences
- He coughed and rested his fag end on the vintage Brylcream lid he used as an ashtray.
- She curtsied on her way out, and dumped her fag end into Manny's fountain.
- It annoys me when I see someone drop their fag end on the ground and they're standing right next to an ash tray which Surrey County Council recently installed on a load of lamp posts in Redhill.
- 1.1An inferior and useless remnant of something: the fag ends of rope • figurative a culture reaching the fag end of its existenceMore example sentences
- I could not watch the game all through but was lucky to be in front of TV in the fag end of the match.
- The garden was set up at the fag end of last academic year.
- Chewing On Glass is an album absolutely dripping in the soft, dewy sheen of midnight; the kind of music that you murmur to yourself at the fag end of parties and the quiet contemplation of dawn.
early 17th century (in the sense 'remnant'): from 15th-century fag 'a flap', of unknown origin. The sense 'a cigarette butt' dates from the early 20th century.
More definitions of fag endDefinition of fag end in:
- The British & World English dictionary