Definition of fag end in English:
nouninformal , chiefly British
1A cigarette butt.
- He coughed and rested his fag end on the vintage Brylcream lid he used as an ashtray.
- She curtsied on her way out, and dumped her fag end into Manny's fountain.
- It annoys me when I see someone drop their fag end on the ground and they're standing right next to an ash tray which Surrey County Council recently installed on a load of lamp posts in Redhill.
1.1An inferior and useless remnant of something: the fag ends of rope figurative a culture reaching the fag end of its existence
More example sentences
- I could not watch the game all through but was lucky to be in front of TV in the fag end of the match.
- The garden was set up at the fag end of last academic year.
- Chewing On Glass is an album absolutely dripping in the soft, dewy sheen of midnight; the kind of music that you murmur to yourself at the fag end of parties and the quiet contemplation of dawn.
Early 17th century (in the sense 'remnant'): from 15th-century fag 'a flap', of unknown origin. The sense 'a cigarette butt' dates from the early 20th century.
Definition of fag end in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan