Definition of fairway in English:
1The part of a golf course between a tee and the corresponding green, where the grass is kept short.
- Pleasure anglers visiting Howsham Hall are asked not to walk across the greens or fairways of the adjacent golf course when they are making their way to the river.
- Tees, fairways and greens are all bent grass, but three other types of turf are used in the rough, providing terrific color contrasts.
- Extremely narrow fairways and tiny greens mean the Scotch broom, beach grass and native rhododendron will snag anything off line.
2A navigable channel in a river or harbor.
- They refuse to leave fairways or harbor entrances open.
- In the middle the open water of the fairway is crowded with pinnaces, jolly-boats, cutters, and pleasure steamers.
- Covered moorage can restrict visibility from one waterway to another. It is therefore critical to keep rafting boats in marina waterways (fairways) to a minimum.
2.1A regular course or track followed by ships.
- Surveillance of coastal shipping routes to maintain safe fairways is conducted by the Hydrographic and Nautical Authorities.
- This artificial fairway built at the turn of the nineteenth century exceeds even the Panama Canal in number of ships passing.
Definition of fairway in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia