Definition of fairy shrimp in English:
A small, transparent crustacean that typically swims on its back, using its legs to filter food particles from the water.
- Order Anostraca, class Branchiopoda: many species, including brine shrimps
- Below the surface, scuba divers haunt Sund Rock Marine Preserve and Octopus Hole, where the world's biggest octopuses share the water with fairy shrimp, shellfish, and Dungeness crab.
- One of the only two habitats for the fairy shrimp in Orange County is a vernal pool at Fairview park in Costa Mesa!
- Endemic to Southern California, the San Diego fairy shrimp, Branchinecta sandiegonensis, has suffered tremendous habitat loss due to urban development and consequently is on the Federal endangered species list.
Definition of fairy shrimp in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.