1In a loyal manner.
- The humbled Wolsey, weeping at Cromwell's loyalty, urges him to forsake him and serve the King faithfully.
- I glance at the family retainer who has served the Dimplers faithfully since well before the old King's father passed.
- ‘It is a very sad day for the city of York and the people that he has served so faithfully over many years,’ he said.
2In a manner that is true to the facts or the original: she translated the novel as faithfully as possible
More example sentences
- We base that on the fact that he faithfully summed up the evidence on intoxication, but did not give that familiar direction which he must have been aware of.
- Rather, the attempt is merely to recreate their personas as faithfully and realistically as possible.
- She believed that what she was seeing was true, and she faithfully recorded it.
- chiefly British A formula for ending a formal letter to someone whose name you do not know.Example sentences
- We write ‘yours sincerely’ or ‘yours faithfully’ at the bottom of a letter, then fret for days about whether we chose the right one.
- However the basic rule is that when you use Dear Sir/Madam then you end with yours faithfully.
Definition of faithfully in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.