- 1A false report of a fire to a fire department.More example sentences
- Another change would require colleges to disclose information about fire safety on campuses, including statistics on fires and false alarms.
- In London, after an initial 55 bogus calls and false alarms in the first six hours of the strike, crews dealt with 70 in the 24 hours up to midnight on Thursday.
- Colin Swann, a young fireman, who plays the drums in the church band, confirmed that he and his colleagues regularly come under attack when they are called out - frequently to false alarms.
- 1.1A warning given about something that fails to happen.More example sentences
- There have been a series of false alarms about the disease in Britain since the massive outbreak last year that effectively shut down the countryside and resulted in the slaughter of millions of cattle, pigs and sheep.
- There always has to be a delicate balance between these opposing needs, to catch all the cancers while protecting women without cancer from false alarms and unnecessary invasive procedures.
- Society reacts to police tragedy with tears of remorse, yet can't seem to understand why police are so aggressive in situations that turn out to be false alarms.
More definitions of false alarmDefinition of false alarm in:
- The British & World English dictionary