- A herbaceous plant of the lily family, with pleated leaves and a tall spike of densely packed yellow-green flowers, found in damp soils in north temperate regions. Also called Indian poke.
More example sentences
- Genus Veratrum, family Liliaceae: several species, in particular V. viride of North America
- Nonephemerals that bloom during the summer or fall are Canada lily, false hellebore, and species of aster, goldenrod, and sunflower.
- Plants of false hellebores (Veratrum) and death camas (Zigadenus) have complex alkaloids of similar structure and cause livestock deaths in the western United States.
More definitions of false helleboreDefinition of false hellebore in:
- The British & World English dictionary