Definition of false vampire in English:
A large carnivorous bat that preys on rodents, reptiles, and other small vertebrates.
- ● An Old World bat (three species in the family Megadermatidae, including the large Australian ghost bat, Macroderma gigas). ● A tropical New World bat (Vampyrum spectrum, family Phyllostomidae).
- These ‘false vampires’ or yellow-winged bats are quite distinctive in appearance, with long, erect noseleaves (fleshy protrusion from the nose) and huge ears.
- False Vampire Bats are found in lowland forests from Central America, south to Northern Bolivia and the Southern Amazon Basin.
- Australian false vampire bats typically roost in caves and abandoned mines.
Definition of false vampire in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.