Of, relating to, or advocating a social framework centered on family relationships rather than on the needs of the individual.
- Most men prefer to work full-time anyway, so while familist policies appropriate the results of their labour, they probably don't actually significantly increase male hours.
- The folkways of the village differ in certain familist practices which tend to differentiate its familism from that of nearby villages.
- Example sentences
- The cultural concepts that examine interpersonal styles that affect the nature and quality of relationships include: familism, individualism-collectivism, personalismo, respeto, simpatia, tiu lien (loss of face).
- The answer to familism and the various forms of tribalism that plague religious communities is a vision of the unity of the human family that respects the enormous diversity that characterizes humans.
- Is the familism of mainstream (moderate and liberal) religious groups good for women, children, and men?
- Example sentences
- Greater clarity, however, can be achieved regarding the function of these social centers if they are understood as embedded within familistic or political relations - Judean, urban, imperial.
- As Murray has it, ‘highly familistic, consensual cultures have been the norm throughout history and the world.’
- Reordering is legitimated through an appeal to a higher religious court, and carried through in familistic or quasi-familistic arrangements.
A member of the Christian sect of the 16th and 17th centuries called the Family of Love, which asserted the importance of love and the necessity for absolute obedience to any government.
- The primary goal of the Familist was the reaching of that state of the ultimate form of perfect love with God revealed through the Family of Love.
- Like Francis Bacon, Familists believed that men and women might recapture on earth the state of innocence which existed before the Fall.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan