1A fan-shaped tail or end.
- Camilla wore a Philip Treacy natural straw hat overlaid with ivory French lace and trimmed with a fantail of feathers.
- The skirt was hourglass shaped with a fantail train.
1.1chiefly North American The rounded overhanging part of the stern of a vessel, especially a warship.
- They rigged up a rope ladder and hung it from the fantail and the liberty boat ran in under it.
- Although most fleet Kingfishers were catapulted from the fantails of battleships and cruisers, the Navy also tried mounting them on the stern of destroyers.
- Despite going to sea on a boat with no windows, no fantail, no helipad or even a hatch to allow in some tension-breaking fresh salt air, submariners are still sailors at heart.
1.2 (also fantail pigeon) A domestic pigeon of a broad-tailed variety.
- A fantail pigeon will probably mate only if it catches the eye of the breeder; a wild pigeon will not mate unless it withstands the struggle for existence long enough to reach maturity.
- Lamarck's Philosophie zoologique mentions the great variety of animal and plant forms produced under human cultivation (Lamarck even anticipated Darwin in mentioning fantail pigeons!
- In that area were several bird houses crowded with gorgeous white fantail pigeons, who perched there or hopped down to walk around on the ground; a couple of Muscovy ducks; a sleepy dog.
1.3The fan of a windmill.
- The heritage group dedicated to restoring Holgate Windmill in York to a full working state, with a new set of five sails and fantail, has a range of merchandise to help fund its worthy cause.
- A huge 60ft crane will be used to hoist a new fantail on to the back of historic Shipley Windmill.
- Verbij, whose family has been building windmills for four generations, said little had survived of the windmill's original fantail, which was made of a soft wood that lasted only about 20 years under the continual onslaught of salt air and sea winds.
- Example sentences
- I have a 30L tank with one fan tailed gold fish two multicoloured fan tailed fish and one black fan tailed fish.
- It had a nicely drawn design of fan-tailed animals marching in opposing directions, row by row, and was done in the silky wool characteristic of good Baluch work.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of fantail in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.