Definition of fasciculation in English:
1 Medicine A brief, spontaneous contraction affecting a small number of muscle fibers, often causing a flicker of movement under the skin. It can be a symptom of disease of the motor neurons.
- The affected muscles show fasciculations that are rippling contractions seen through the skin or in the tongue.
- Shortly into my neurophysiological assessment, normally recruiting muscles confirmed a diagnosis of benign fasciculations.
- Clinically, there was no muscle atrophy, pain, or fasciculation; a muscle biopsy showed only mild myofiber atrophy.
2chiefly Biology Arrangement in bundles.
- This phenotype may be the result of defective interaxon communication that obstructs axon extension or fasciculation in the longitudinal pathways.
- It is important to note that the aberrant projections do not seem to result from fasciculation defects or growth impairments.
Definition of fasciculation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.