- 1A secure refuge, especially a place well protected by natural features: a remote Himalayan mountain fastnessMore example sentences
- Rommel's army had to be worn down, and if it had been allowed to withdraw intact into the mountain fastnesses of Tunisia, securing a decisive land victory in North Africa would have been rendered immensely difficult.
- As, indeed, did the original inhabitants of the Cinque Terre: even after they moved downhill from their mountain fastnesses, most locals continued to work the land.
- She describes the remote mountain fastnesses between Afghanistan and Pakistan and tells the tragic tale of a runaway young bride bought as a wife for a tribal man.
- 2The ability of a material or dye to maintain its color without fading or washing away: the dyes differ in their fastness to lightMore example sentences
- Moreover, the sizing does not impact the hand of the fabric or the wash fastness of garments, the company reported.
- Many of the colors were not fast, although there is not agreement in the literature on fastness properties of the various dyes.
More definitions of fastnessDefinition of fastness in:
- The British & World English dictionary