Definition of father confessor in English:
1A priest who hears confessions and gives absolution and spiritual counsel.
- The Jesuit Father, Caussin, was the father confessor of King Louis XIII.
- There are candles to be lit, and hassocks to kneel on, and a series of wooden cabinets each labelled with the name of a father confessor.
- I told him that it was better to be honestly married than to continue to live as the priests, even our father confessors, wanted us to do.
1.1A person, typically an older man, to whom one confides private matters: he was growing tired of acting as the father confessor to every student
More example sentences
- Budd has become the father confessor for hundreds of people who are convinced they have been abducted by aliens.
- I was, if I may say so, her father confessor in many ways.
- He acted as father confessor and sympathetic listener to most of the players and officials, and everyone knew and respected him.
Definition of father confessor in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.