Definition of feminize in English:
1Make (something) more characteristic of or associated with women: as office roles changed, clerical work was increasingly feminized
More example sentences
- He argues that professionalization emerged as an ideology used by women and men social workers to overcome their marginal status and gain respectability in a new and increasingly feminized job market in the 20th century.
- In the 1930s the Soviet retail workforce was increasingly feminized.
- Over time, this element of her story is lost, and she is increasingly configured as a highly feminized martyr.
1.1Induce female sexual characteristics in (a male).
- Until then, most of the fish were very strongly feminized.
- In general, ovarian estrogens feminize and demasculinize the developing hypothalamus and perhaps other brain areas known to control copulatory behaviors.
- Taking estrogen can feminize appearance by increasing breast size, shrinking testicles, rounding the hips and reducing facial and body hair.
- Example sentences
- But, they add, the feminization of medicine is helping to lower physician salaries, encourage part-time doctoring and exacerbate a looming shortage of physicians.
- Documented evidence is now available to show that there is a correlation between the growth of the forces of globalization, and what has come to be known as the feminization of poverty, worldwide.
- I appreciated that it was not a feminization of a boy's name.
Pronunciation: /ˌfemənəˈzāSH(ə)n/ /ˌfemeˌnīˈzāSH(ə)n/noun
Definition of feminize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan