Definition of fenestra in English:
noun (plural fenestrae /-trē, -trī/)
1 Anatomy & Zoology A small natural hole or opening, especially in a bone. The mammalian middle ear is linked by the fenestra ovalis to the vestibule of the inner ear, and by the fenestra rotunda to the cochlea.
- Displacement of bones obscures anatomical details, but the fenestra ovalis seems to be absent.
- The stapes terminates at a well-defined fenestra ovalis, suggesting that the stapes was specialized for hearing.
- Most of the basal plate has been eliminated to accommodate the increased size of the fenestra ovalis.
2.1An opening in a bandage or cast.
- In our experiments, it is clear that extended imaging does cause the cells to respond; imaging for more than 1.5-2 h results in a significant enlargement of fenestrae and eventually causes the cells to detach.
- The incomplete squamosals also slope laterally and ventrally away from the parietals, slightly depressing posterior margin of the supratemporal fenestrae.
- The fused parietals form the posterior two-thirds of the sagittal crest, expanding posteriorly to form a flattened, sculpted deck behind the supratemporal fenestrae adjacent to the squamosals.
2.3A hole made by surgical fenestration.
- The large post-temporal fenestrae (large holes in the back of the skull) of turtles allow the jaw musculature to expand beyond the confines of the adductor chamber.
- As experience mounted the time taken for surgery fell, bigger fenestra were created and the propensity for iatrogenic trauma and hence postoperative scarring diminished.
early 19th century (as a botanical term denoting a small scar left by the separation of the seed from the ovary): from Latin, literally 'window'.
Definition of fenestra in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan