Definition of ferroelectric in English:
(Of a substance) exhibiting permanent electric polarization that varies in strength with the applied electric field.
- The material and the thickness of ferroelectric film are selected such that the product of the relative dielectric constant of ferroelectric film and the electric field across ferroelectric film is less than 15.6 Mv/cm.
- When the device is used as a sonic actuator, the first and second electrode patterns are configured to introduce an electric field into the ferroelectric material when voltage is applied to the electrode patterns.
- Similarly, ferroelectric materials have a spontaneous electric polarization, the direction of which can be switched with an applied electric field.
nounBack to top
A ferroelectric substance.
- Researchers want to use ferroelectrics for data storage, but the materials have other properties that make them ideal for steering microscopic motions in ink jet printers and for detecting infrared light at room temperature.
- Now Mack Breazeale and his group at the University of Mississippi in University have found a new form of memory in ferroelectrics.
- Some of these materials are extremely low fatigue ferroelectrics and are applied in ferroelectric FETs in non-volatile memories.
- Example sentences
- Now researchers in the US have built pillar structures at the nanometre scale that combine two markedly different functions: magnetism and ferroelectricity.
- One of the materials he studied was a ‘tartrate of soda and potash’ - Rochelle salt - the same material in which Joseph Valasek discovered ferroelectricity almost exactly a century later.
- Takeuchi believes the research opens the door on materials with other combinations of useful properties, such as ferromagnetism, ferroelectricity, and shape memory effect.
Definition of ferroelectric in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan