Definition of ferrous in English:
1(Chiefly of metals) containing or consisting of iron.
- Except for aluminium and ferrous metal such as steel, the prices for most recyclable materials rests at the bottom of their historical ranges.
- Good markets for ferrous metals, as well as copper and brass, have existed for years.
- Anglo American is also involved in mining gold, diamonds, coal and ferrous metal but platinum accounts for 12% of its total revenues and 20% of its income.
1.1 Chemistry Of iron with a valence of two; of iron(II). Compare with ferric.
- The ability of wetland plants to flourish in environments with high Fe concentrations has been attributed to the oxidation of soluble ferrous iron to insoluble ferric iron in the rhizosphere.
- Within the body iron exist in two oxidation states: ferrous or ferric.
- The color due to ferric iron is yellow, not green, and ferric iron is not driven off but rather is reduced in oxidation state to ferrous iron.
Definition of ferrous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India