Definition of fever tree in English:
Any of a number of trees that are believed either to cause or to cure fever, in particular.
- ● A North American tree used in the treatment of malaria during the Civil War (Pinckneya pubens, family Rubiaceae). ● A southern African tree that was formerly believed to cause malaria (Acacia xanthophloea, family Leguminosae).
- The ‘fever tree’ was thought to cure malaria.
- Very soon, however, there could be no more Acacia erioloba, no Acacia karroo, no Acacia xanthophloea - otherwise known as camel thorn, sweet thorn and the green-trunked fever tree.
- But their word for bark - the Peruvian is kina - was rendered in Spanish as quina, which came to be associated with the ‘fever tree’.
Definition of fever tree in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan