Definition of fever tree in English:
Any of a number of trees that are believed either to cause or to cure fever, in particular.
- ● A North American tree used in the treatment of malaria during the Civil War (Pinckneya pubens, family Rubiaceae). ● A southern African tree that was formerly believed to cause malaria (Acacia xanthophloea, family Leguminosae).
- The ‘fever tree’ was thought to cure malaria.
- Very soon, however, there could be no more Acacia erioloba, no Acacia karroo, no Acacia xanthophloea - otherwise known as camel thorn, sweet thorn and the green-trunked fever tree.
- But their word for bark - the Peruvian is kina - was rendered in Spanish as quina, which came to be associated with the ‘fever tree’.
Definition of fever tree in:
- British & World English dictionary