Definition of fiddler crab in English:
A small amphibious crab, the males of which have one greatly enlarged claw that they wave in territorial display and courtship.
- Genus Uca, family Ocypodidae
- The male fiddler crab bangs territorial warnings into the sand with its oversized claw.
- Males of the fiddler crab Uca musica sometimes build sand hoods at the entrances of their burrows, to which they attract females for mating with claw waving and other displays.
- Foot-drumming of banner-tailed kangaroo rats and the chela drumming of the male fiddler crab are percussion-induced seismic signals.
Definition of fiddler crab in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan