Definition of fieldfare in English:
A large migratory thrush with a gray head, breeding in northern Eurasia.
- Turdus pilaris, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae
- The berries are startling and I am very much looking forward to the arrival of the northern blackbirds, the fieldfare and redwing.
- Most observations relate to larks, pipits and finches but kestrels are capable of taking such quarry as fieldfares, turtle doves and lapwing.
- In the fields there were plenty fieldfares and redwings who are related to the song thrush.
Late Old English feldefare, perhaps from feld 'field' + the base of faran 'to travel' (see fare).
Words that rhyme with fieldfarewarfare • funfair
Definition of fieldfare in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.