Definition of fig leaf in English:
1A leaf of a fig tree, often depicted as concealing the genitals in paintings and sculpture.
- The young woman, whose speech and behavior reek of defiance bordering on dementia, disapproves of the puritanism that placed a plaster fig leaf over the genitals of a statue of God.
- More sympathetic observers like Peter Kolb suggested that as a natural fig leaf it modestly concealed the female genitals.
- This was not the mythical Pan, half-man and half-goat, but a mature human male whose nudity was compromised only by the prominent fig leaf covering his genitals.
1.1A thing designed to conceal a difficulty or embarrassment: the amendment was just a fig leaf designed to cover the cracks in the party
More example sentences
- They are a political fig leaf to cover the government's embarrassment over that.
- This is merely a fig leaf to cover up its ruthless attempts to preserve the ability to extract huge profits from those artists.
- Authoritarianism, barely concealed under the fig leaf of ‘democracy’, became its watchword.
Early 16th century: with reference to the story of Adam and Eve (Gen. 3:7).
Words that rhyme with fig leaftea leaf • bas-relief • flyleaf
Definition of fig leaf in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan