(also Siamese fighting fish)
A small labyrinth fish native to Thailand, the males of which fight vigorously. It has been bred in a variety of colors for fighting and for aquariums.
- Betta splendens, family Belontiidae
More example sentences
- Two male fighting fish do not usually fight to the death; the loser just flees the scene.
- Previous studies on Siamese fighting fish and toads, as well as on humans and other primates, have yielded similar results.
- Some others, like the Siamese fighting fish, are capable of breathing air in addition to extracting oxygen from the water with their gills.
Definition of fighting fish in:
- The British & World English dictionary