(also Siamese fighting fish)
Definition of fighting fish in English:
A small labyrinth fish native to Thailand, the males of which fight vigorously. It has been bred in a variety of colors for fighting and for aquariums.
- Betta splendens, family Belontiidae
- Two male fighting fish do not usually fight to the death; the loser just flees the scene.
- Previous studies on Siamese fighting fish and toads, as well as on humans and other primates, have yielded similar results.
- Some others, like the Siamese fighting fish, are capable of breathing air in addition to extracting oxygen from the water with their gills.
Definition of fighting fish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia