Definition of figwort in English:
- Genus Scrophularia, family Scrophulariaceae (the figwort family): several species. Plants of this family have distinctive two-lobed flowers and include the snapdragons, toadflaxes, foxgloves, mulleins, monkey flowers, and speedwells
- In the course of our short walk, Barry reckons he's counted no fewer than 16 species of the ‘prettier’ wildflowers, including cranesbill, herb robert, various clovers, ribwort plantain, figwort and dog rose.
- Among the wildflowers are a red columbine, aster, figwort, wild sarsaparilla, fleabane, and avens.
- In seeking to solve this new problem, we note first that the form crowdy-kit itself not only means ‘small fiddle,’ but also refers to a plant, not any kind of orchid, but Scrophularia aquatica, the water figwort.
Mid 16th century: from obsolete fig 'piles' + wort. The word originally denoted the pilewort, or lesser celandine, which was used as a treatment for piles; the current sense dates from the late 16th century.
Definition of figwort in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.