noun (plural same or filefishes)
A fish with a dorsal spine and rough scales, related to the triggerfishes and occurring in tropical and sometimes temperate seas.
- Numerous genera and species, family Balistidae (or Monacanthidae)
More example sentences
- Sponges constituted the majority of stomach contents of angelfishes and the filefish.
- Every sort of reef fish competed for meals, the oddest being the boxfish, trunkfish and filefish, all trying to feed through pursed lips.
- Scrawled filefish seem enormous and, of course, the ubiquitous titan and the inappropriately named yellowmargin triggerfish are active everywhere.
late 18th century: from file3 (because of its rough skin, suggesting the surface of a file).
More definitions of filefishDefinition of filefish in:
- The British & World English dictionary