Definition of filmy fern in English:
A small fern of damp shady places, with wiry creeping stems and delicate forked fronds that are only one cell thick. They occur chiefly in tropical and subtropical regions.
- Family Hymenophyllaceae: Hymenophyllum and other genera
- Everything about it is supremely delicate, from the filmy fern leaves to the masses of mauve bell flowers with dangling pale gold anthers that hover over the garden like a pale mist in August.
- There are filmy ferns, and more jagged ferns, ferns which look like moss, and the stumpy Mexican tree fern which never grows very tall.
- Because of this high level of humidity, thick, lush mosses also thrive in the filmy fern house.
Definition of filmy fern in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.