- A liquid that has passed through a filter: filtrates of bacterial cultures drops of clear filtrateMore example sentences
- During the gravity filtration the filtrate passes through the filter medium under the combined forces of gravity and capillary attraction between the liquid and the funnel stem.
- Then a clear filtrate with no cells or bacteria was used to inoculate another chicken, which would then develop a tumor.
- In the majority of the studies we reviewed, the material administered to the animal was the dried filtrate of a water extract that had been prepared from dried leaves.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Filter: the remaining alkali is filtratedMore example sentences
- Sperm were filtrated and stained on the filter.
- It is more normally used to filtrate drinking water and in small amounts is not harmful.
- Shrugging, the teen walked over to the window above the sink: some light had managed to filtrate between the cobwebs and the dust.
early 17th century: from modern Latin filtrat- 'filtered', from the verb filtrare, from medieval Latin filtrum (see filter).
More definitions of filtrateDefinition of filtrate in:
- The British & World English dictionary