Definition of fining in English:
1A substance used for clarifying liquid, especially beer or wine.
- These filters are normally used to clarify the products of settled grape juice or wine, such as lees after crushing, pressing, and settling, and the residue of finings such as bentonite.
- Only the wealthy could afford the Hysons and Imperial varieties, while at the bottom end of the scale the labourers in the fields made do with the dust and finings left behind.
1.1The process of clarifying wine or beer: [as modifier]: a fining agent
More example sentences
- And I haven't even mentioned post-fermentation processes like fining and filtration, with are the subject of rabid controversy.
- Among possible allergens in wines are traces of the natural proteins not precipitated and removed with the dead yeast cells after fermentation, and traces of proteins from a fining agent used to clarify and stabilize the wine.
- Bentonite is apparently more commonly used as a fining agent in white wines than in red wines.
Definition of fining in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia