Definition of firefighting in English:
1The action or process of extinguishing fires, as a person’s job.
- Rooms on the second floor of the museum show different aspects of firefighting or fire prevention.
- A session in firefighting was also held with many of the seminar attendees performing well.
- Firefighting was therefore at the top of the pecking order of Forest Service job prestige.
2(In business) the practice of dealing with problems as they arise rather than planning strategically to avoid them.
- Mr Catterall said the staff were firefighting the whole time; unsurprisingly the Ward was not a popular one.
- But business owners who use agencies on an ongoing basis are often left constantly firefighting.
- At the moment we are just constantly firefighting.
Definition of firefighting in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan