noun (plural fireflies)
- A soft-bodied beetle related to the glowworm, the winged male and flightless female of which both have luminescent organs. The light is chiefly produced as a signal between the sexes, especially in flashes.
More example sentences
- Family Lampyridae: many species
- Later lab experiments showed that by flashing an artificial light at a firefly you could speed up its rhythm, you could slow it down, make it flash a little later than it would otherwise.
- We were guided as we went by millions of fireflies whose flashing marked the banks like landing lights on an airstrip.
- The firefly's light is only visible for an instant.
More definitions of fireflyDefinition of firefly in:
- The British & World English dictionary