1A protective screen or grid placed in front of an open fire.
- Make sure open fires have a suitable fireguard and are safe to leave.
- If you have a fireplace, get a proper fireguard to put in front of it - those of you with children already crawling will know how fast they can move.
- Almost half of parents with an open, gas or electric fire did not have a fireguard, while 44% had not put locks on kitchen cupboard doors.
2North American A firebreak in a forest.
- The 300 ha Buckingham thinned for the project included a ‘priority one’ area that required a 30 metre wide clearcut in the middle of the fireguard.
- Other shots revealed the futile efforts of firefighters as they built fireguards or dropped plane-loads of water and fire retardant on a natural force out of control.
- To expand the fireguard, a 2 km wide stretch of forest was burned south into Kootenay National Park.
Definition of fireguard in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.