Definition of fireside chat in English:
1An informal conversation.
- A fireside chat over a disappointing bottle of wine prompted a Bradford couple to resolve to ditch their day jobs and set up their own business.
- The things he needed to tell the boy could not simply be blurted out during a fireside chat in one sitting.
- He did not lecture or hector his listeners; he talked to them as if he were conducting a fireside chat.
1.1US One of a series of radio broadcasts made by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt to the nation, beginning in 1933.
- The night that my favorite program was pre-empted by one of president Franklin Roosevelt's fireside chats was the night I became a Republican.
- He delivered a fireside chat that night promising the nation America would stay out.
- It also shows a great place to pull up a chair, to read, and then of course it's the very famous spot that Franklin Roosevelt gave his fireside chats.
Definition of fireside chat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan