1A group of soldiers detailed to shoot a condemned person.
- They went through the farce of a court martial and were then shot by a firing squad.
- The American and Spanish ministers made unsuccessful appeals for postponement of her execution in Germany, and she was shot by a firing squad on October 12, 1915.
- Then the commander of the firing squad went forward and shot each in the forehead.
1.1US A group of soldiers detailed to fire the salute at a military funeral.
- At our memorial day parade, there were 3 senior members that were asked by the commander of the foreign legion to do the firing squad for the rifle salutes.
- Taps will be played either by a bugler or by recording, and a three-volley salute, sometimes referred to as a twenty one gun salute, will be held by a firing squad.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: fir·ing squad
Definition of firing squad in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.