Definition of firing squad in English:
1A group of soldiers detailed to shoot a condemned person.
- They went through the farce of a court martial and were then shot by a firing squad.
- The American and Spanish ministers made unsuccessful appeals for postponement of her execution in Germany, and she was shot by a firing squad on October 12, 1915.
- Then the commander of the firing squad went forward and shot each in the forehead.
1.1US A group of soldiers detailed to fire the salute at a military funeral.
- At our memorial day parade, there were 3 senior members that were asked by the commander of the foreign legion to do the firing squad for the rifle salutes.
- Taps will be played either by a bugler or by recording, and a three-volley salute, sometimes referred to as a twenty one gun salute, will be held by a firing squad.
Definition of firing squad in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan