- A commissioned officer in the US Army, Air Force, or Marine Corps ranking above second lieutenant and below captain.More example sentences
- Michael quickly rose through the ranks as orderly sergeant, first lieutenant and captain.
- He won a theatre award at Bronx Science, and after studying at New York University's old University Heights campus and spending time in the Army as a first lieutenant in the infantry, he set out for Manhattan and the world of the stage.
- Rather than drop out altogether like his fictional creation, however, he persevered in the corps, becoming a first lieutenant and second-in-command of his squadron before his discharge in 1960.
More definitions of first lieutenantDefinition of first lieutenant in:
- The British & World English dictionary