1A person who catches fish for a living or for sport: he was an enthusiastic fisher and hunter an experienced trout fisher will be on hand to guide and advise
More example sentences
- His traditional roots show as he weaves tales from life as it was for Canada's early settlers, hunters, fishers, explorers and adventurers.
- He and his band have been hunters, fishers and farmers.
- These offer information about shifting shoals, sandbars and such that can be critical for boaters and productive for fishers.
2A large brown marten valued for its fur, found in North American woodland where it frequently preys on porcupines. Also called pekan.
- Martes pennanti, family Mustelidae.
- The bear, wolf, coyote, fisher, wolverine, otter, and lynx prey upon the beaver who is, nevertheless, a powerful antagonist when at bay.
- Bobcats, wolverines, and fishers, that know how to flip the animal on its back and expose its unprotected underside, are the most adept at killing porcupines.
- This was the kind of place fishers like: a closed canopy, a supply of dead standing trees to make dens in, and plenty of trees of different heights and deadwood on the ground, where a hungry fisher might find prey.
Words that rhyme with fisherFischer, fissure, justiciar, Laetitia, militia, Patricia, Phoenicia, Tricia
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of fisher in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.