- Active or occurring spasmodically or intermittently; not regular or steady: a few hours' fitful sleep business was fitfulMore example sentences
- His sleep was fitful and intermittent, and he soon rose from bed to go and see his son.
- I snatched six hours of restless, fitful sleep before having to get back into the office.
- She did not practice at all, and immediately drifted into a restless and fitful sleep, though she did not know why.
- More example sentences
- Likeminded psychoanalysts fret over his fluctuating weight, his fitfulness and despondence, his drinking and drugging, and the degree to which he seems either to be ‘really trying’ or ‘just getting by.’
- The scorer is a playmaker commonly accused of fitfulness.