1A person who puts together or installs machinery, engine parts, or other equipment: a pipe fitter
More example sentences
- Those detained included an accountant, a builder, a window fitter and a machine operator.
- He is a machine fitter and has been helping the British Engineers bring the power station back on line.
- Planned action by steel erectors, pipe fitters and welders to hit construction work on high-profile sites for this week has been called off after employers rushed to negotiate a deal.
2A person who supervises the cutting, fitting, or alteration of garments or shoes.
- Also inform the shoe fitter of any previous injuries you might have had, as this could affect the type of shoe suitable to you.
- Every woman I've ever spoken to on the subject has had nothing but praise for their fitters and assistants.
- Two-thirds of the fitters recommended bras with the wrong underwire shape, according to the report.
Words that rhyme with fitterbitter, committer, critter, embitter, emitter, flitter, fritter, glitter, gritter, hitter, jitter, knitter, litter, permitter, pitta, quitter, remitter, sitter, skitter, slitter, spitter, splitter, submitter, titter, transmitter, twitter, witter
Definition of fitter in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.