Definition of fixative in English:
1A chemical substance used to preserve or stabilize biological material prior to microscopy or other examination: an alcoholic fixative ten double drops of fixative
More example sentences
- The main purpose of chemical fixatives is to preserve the tissue, changing its fresh liquid sol state to a hardened preserved fixed state.
- Because of this, a variety of fixatives are used to preserve and stabilize certain structures and inclusions to withstand the procedures just outlined.
- Osmium tetroxide was used as a secondary fixative and stain prior to a second wash in phosphate buffer.
1.1A substance used to stabilize the volatile components of perfume.
- Finally, while the fixatives provide the background, the base note lends the perfume its lasting impression.
- Ambergris is used as a fixative in the manufacture of perfume.
- This plant is one of the natural sources of Benzyl benzoate, an aromatic liquid used as a fixative and solvent in the manufacture of flavorings and perfume.
1.2A liquid sprayed onto a pastel or charcoal drawing to fix colors or prevent smudging.
- But the real emphasis of this book is in developing an understanding of how the body moves and the many media and techniques for rendering the human form: chalks, charcoal, pastel, fixative, watercolors and oil paints.
- The top bid was $7,500 for the painting whose intensity and tactile quality are achieved with layers of charcoal, then fixative, then more layers, then sand-paper.
- Gelatine, an animal by-product rich in collagen, was frequently used by Middle Age painters as a fixative to bind pigments to canvas or wood.
2A substance used to keep things in position or stick them together: the swift glues these thin twigs to a wall using its own saliva as a fixative
More example sentences
- Applying the fixatives before dyeing gives both fiber components of the fabric a positive charge.
- The book dummies, storyboards, jacket covers, and double page spreads were proudly displayed, still smelling strongly of glue and fixatives.
- The team will create a new fixative mixture that combines minerals and slow-release growth factors.
adjectiveBack to top
(Of a substance) used to fix or stabilize something.
- They determined whether use of fixative fluid, organic solvent, or both might contribute to the low numbers.
- The sandals are sewn by hand, made with low-impact, fiberreactive dyes and no fixative chemicals.
- In the early 1970s, the use of the fixative paste was eliminated, which meant that tissue could be removed and processed immediately by frozen section.
Definition of fixative in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan