Definition of flair in English:
- He had a flair for drawing and an ability to grasp and execute delicate model settings.
- They are coming to Bangalore to hunt for some gifted youngsters, with a flair for acting.
- He was gifted with his hands and had a natural flair for wood-turning and carpentry.
- Judges placed high value on entries that demonstrated imagination, originality and flair.
- She went for a formal and textured look with a touch of modernity and lots of flair and originality.
- He did, however, have an innate grasp of public relations, dressing with flair so people would notice him.
This word for ‘instinctive aptitude’ comes from French, from flairer ‘to smell’, based on Latin fragrare ‘smell sweet’, source also of fragrant (Late Middle English) and fragrance (mid 17th century). The notion is one of having the ability to detect the ‘scent, essence’ of something and the know-how to react accordingly.
Words that rhyme with flairaffair, affaire, air, Altair, Althusser, Anvers, Apollinaire, Astaire, aware, Ayer, Ayr, bare, bear, bêche-de-mer, beware, billionaire, Blair, blare, Bonaire, cafetière, care, chair, chargé d'affaires, chemin de fer, Cher, Clair, Claire, Clare, commissionaire, compare, concessionaire, cordon sanitaire, couvert, Daguerre, dare, debonair, declare, derrière, despair, doctrinaire, éclair, e'er, elsewhere, ensnare, ere, extraordinaire, Eyre, fair, fare, fayre, Finisterre, flare, Folies-Bergère, forbear, forswear, foursquare, glair, glare, hair, hare, heir, Herr, impair, jardinière, Khmer, Kildare, La Bruyère, lair, laissez-faire, legionnaire, luminaire, mal de mer, mare, mayor, meunière, mid-air, millionaire, misère, Mon-Khmer, multimillionaire, ne'er, Niger, nom de guerre, outstare, outwear, pair, pare, parterre, pear, père, pied-à-terre, Pierre, plein-air, prayer, questionnaire, rare, ready-to-wear, rivière, Rosslare, Santander, savoir faire, scare, secretaire, share, snare, solitaire, Soufrière, spare, square, stair, stare, surface-to-air, swear, Tailleferre, tare, tear, their, there, they're, vin ordinaire, Voltaire, ware, wear, Weston-super-Mare, where, yeah
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.