- Approximately 50 enemy aircraft were in the vicinity and the entire area was full of friendly flak.
- We went down to St. Vith and when I looked down all I saw was fire, smoke, and flak going in all directions.
- For the moment my main concern was not Luftwaffe fighters, lights or flak.
1.1Strong criticism: you must be strong enough to take the flak if things go wrong
More example sentences
- We conservatives often take a lot of flak for being overly critical of the liberal viewpoint.
- And I just wanted to compliment Bill on speaking his mind, because I'm sure he gets a lot of flack and criticism for doing this.
- One consequence is that ministers will have to take the flak, to accept that they will be blamed for faults, even when those are none of their making.
1930s: from German, abbreviation of Fliegerabwehrkanone, literally 'aircraft-defense gun'.
Words that rhyme with flakaback, alack, attack, back, black, brack, clack, claque, crack, Dirac, drack, flack, hack, jack, Kazakh, knack, lack, lakh, mac, mach, Nagorno-Karabakh, pack, pitchblack, plaque, quack, rack, sac, sack, shack, shellac, slack, smack, snack, stack, tach, tack, thwack, track, vac, wack, whack, wrack, yak, Zack
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.