- 1A baked dish consisting of an open-topped pastry case with a savory or sweet filling.More example sentences
- Slide the baking sheet into the oven and bake the flan for one hour, or until the filling is puffed and golden and just jiggles in the center when you tap the pan.
- It is the classic pastry for flans and often has a little sugar, even when used for savoury dishes, but rarely egg.
- The pastry crusts were not only as part of the dish, pies and flans would be moulded and decorated with flower heads in season.
- 1.1A sponge base with a sweet topping.More example sentences
- In the cookery section, you can bring along those apple tarts, sponge flans, cheese cake, fruit loaves, brown scones, white scones, brown bread, white bread and jams.
- Their sweet temptations go on to include more than 15 varieties of dessert, including flans, gateaux, fruity pies, and cheesecakes.
- The dessert is chilled until it sets and is usually turned out onto a plate to make an attractive plateau shape like a flan, but you can also serve it in dishes or glasses.
mid 19th century: from French (originally denoting a round cake) from Old French flaon, from medieval Latin flado, fladon-, of West Germanic origin; related to Dutch vlade 'custard'.
More definitions of flanDefinition of flan in:
- The British & World English dictionary