Definition of flash over in English:
1Make an electric circuit by sparking across a gap.
- The theory here is that the primer flashes over the small powder charge and causes it to detonate.
- An arc then flashes over between these electrodes 24 and 13, giving rise to ionization and pressurization.
- If the voltage is high enough, the insulator flashes over causing a short circuit of the system.
1.1(Of a fire) spread instantly across a gap because of intense heat.
- Once the fire flashed over the side station, it quickly enveloped the deli restaurant, feeding on the combustible interior finishes and furnishings.
- At about 4 p.m., the fire ‘flashed over’ and the buildings erupted in a mass of flame, trapping some staff on upper floors.
- When the driver lifted the engine cover he provided the oxygen that was lacking and the fire ‘flashed over’ and spread quickly through the bus.
Definition of flash over in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India