Definition of flashback in English:
1A scene in a movie, novel, etc., set in a time earlier than the main story: in a series of flashbacks, we follow the pair through their teenage years
More example sentences
- The talk show framing device allows Ricky (hidden in the shadows) to narrate his story in flashback.
- The story is narrated in flashback by Louis, in a letter written from his prison cell.
- While the film's story is told in flashback, it is certainly a look forward, into the future, for its director.
1.1A sudden and disturbing vivid memory of an event in the past, typically as the result of psychological trauma or taking LSD.
- The disorder is thus characterised by involuntary, persistent remembering or reliving the traumatic event in flashbacks, vivid memories, and recurrent dreams.
- If you have PTSD, you may have vivid nightmares, flashbacks, and bad memories.
- Ordinary events can serve as reminders of the trauma and trigger flashbacks or intrusive images.
Words that rhyme with flashbacksplashback
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan