(also flash point)
- 1A place, event, or time at which trouble, such as violence or anger, flares up: the flashpoint of the conflagration is just blocks awayMore example sentences
- The season's main violence flashpoints were before, during and after games against Hartlepool, Bury, and Carlisle.
- Politics here have long been a flashpoint for violence.
- Christmas is often a flashpoint for domestic violence due to increased drinking, tension over money and contact with family members.
- 2 Chemistry The temperature at which a particular organic compound gives off sufficient vapor to ignite in air.More example sentences
- They had routinely heated paraffin oil with a flashpoint of 175 degrees centigrade in its baking tins to stop pies sticking.
More definitions of flashpointDefinition of flashpoint in:
- The British & World English dictionary