noun (plural same or flatfishes)
- A flattened marine fish that swims on its side with both eyes on the upper side. They live typically on the seabed and are colored to resemble it.
More example sentences
- Order Pleuronectiformes: several families, in particular Bothidae (left-eye flounders), Pleuronectidae (right-eye flounders), and Soleidae (soles)
- The California halibut is a flatfish with an oblong, compressed body and a large, powerful, broad tail.
- Today we can read the course of this evolution in the development of a flatfish.
- The plaice is one of the smaller flatfish found around the British coast.
More definitions of flatfishDefinition of flatfish in:
- The British & World English dictionary