Definition of flatfish in English:
noun (plural same or flatfishes)
A flattened marine fish that swims on its side with both eyes on the upper side. They live typically on the seabed and are colored to resemble it.
- Order Pleuronectiformes: several families, in particular Bothidae (left-eye flounders), Pleuronectidae (right-eye flounders), and Soleidae (soles)
- The California halibut is a flatfish with an oblong, compressed body and a large, powerful, broad tail.
- Today we can read the course of this evolution in the development of a flatfish.
- The plaice is one of the smaller flatfish found around the British coast.
Words that rhyme with flatfishcatfish
Definition of flatfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan