Definition of flavivirus in English:
Any of a group of RNA viruses, mostly having arthropod vectors, that cause a number of serious human diseases including yellow fever, dengue, various types of encephalitis, and hepatitis C.
- Family Flaviviridae, three genera
- West Nile virus is a flavivirus within the Japanese encephalitis serocomplex, which includes St Louis encephalitis, yellow fever, and dengue fever.
- Other flaviviruses are yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis, dengue, and Saint Louis encephalitis.
- West Nile virus is an important arthropod borne flavivirus; it usually causes a mild infection called West Nile fever in humans and horses.
Definition of flavivirus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.