- Any of a group of RNA viruses, mostly having arthropod vectors, that cause a number of serious human diseases including yellow fever, dengue, various types of encephalitis, and hepatitis C.
More example sentences
- Family Flaviviridae, three genera
- West Nile virus is a flavivirus within the Japanese encephalitis serocomplex, which includes St Louis encephalitis, yellow fever, and dengue fever.
- Other flaviviruses are yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis, dengue, and Saint Louis encephalitis.
- West Nile virus is an important arthropod borne flavivirus; it usually causes a mild infection called West Nile fever in humans and horses.
More definitions of flavivirusDefinition of flavivirus in:
- The British & World English dictionary