Definition of flea-bitten in English:
1Bitten by or infested with fleas.
- ‘Oscar's far too old for rabbiting’ said George sharply, eyeing the flea-bitten beagle snoring in the corner of the room with distaste.
- A flea-bitten dog with an enormous tick in its head greets us.
- A flea-bitten rug dominates the floor (anything flea-bitten always manages to dominate) and the sacking lies folded on her ragged mattress.
1.1 informal Sordid, shabby, or disreputable: this flea-bitten gross-out movie seems to believe that it’s about something
More example sentences
- We had in fact been walking in totally the wrong direction to get to our cheap but flea-bitten hotel.
- He dreamed of flea-bitten hotels and ballrooms, but he awoke with the smell of cigars in his nostrils, the scent of organized outrage.
- We ended up walking the streets with our suitcases and had to spend the night in a flea-bitten youth hostel, with lots of old men and young lads.
Definition of flea-bitten in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan