Definition of flea-bitten in English:
1Bitten by or infested with fleas.
- ‘Oscar's far too old for rabbiting’ said George sharply, eyeing the flea-bitten beagle snoring in the corner of the room with distaste.
- A flea-bitten dog with an enormous tick in its head greets us.
- A flea-bitten rug dominates the floor (anything flea-bitten always manages to dominate) and the sacking lies folded on her ragged mattress.
1.1 informal Sordid, shabby, or disreputable: this flea-bitten gross-out movie seems to believe that it’s about something
More example sentences
- We had in fact been walking in totally the wrong direction to get to our cheap but flea-bitten hotel.
- He dreamed of flea-bitten hotels and ballrooms, but he awoke with the smell of cigars in his nostrils, the scent of organized outrage.
- We ended up walking the streets with our suitcases and had to spend the night in a flea-bitten youth hostel, with lots of old men and young lads.
Definition of flea-bitten in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.