Relating to Flanders, its people, or their language.
- Cipriano was the great 16th century Flemish composer Cipriano de Rore, who spent more-or-less his entire career working in Italy.
- John, Duke of Berry, younger brother of Philip the Bold, was an enthusiastic book collector and attracted Flemish artists to his court.
- The leaders of the invasion spoke French but the soldiers were Flemish, Welsh, and from southwest England.
1The Dutch language as spoken in Flanders, one of the two official languages of Belgium.
- Those residing in northern Belgium speak Flemish, which is derived from Dutch and German.
- The site appears in a choice of languages - French, German, Dutch and Flemish - as well as English, representing countries were Portakabin has major outposts.
- My father went directly from being a buck private in basic training to Master Sergeant in an intelligence position because he could speak French, Flemish, and German.
2 (the Flemish) [as plural noun] The people of Flanders.
- And it is true of most non-immigrant national minorities, like the Québécois, Flemish, or Catalans.
- There is no such thing as plagiarism in politics and this is where the experience of the Basques, Catalans and Flemish over 25 years may be helpful.
- The left section comprised mainly of Bretons, the central section were Norman under Willliam's command and the right section was made up of the French and Flemish.
Middle English: from Middle Dutch Vlāmisch, related to Vlaanderen 'Flanders'.
Words that rhyme with Flemishblemish
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Flemish in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.