noun (plural fleurs-de-lis pronounced same or /-dlˈēz/)
1 Art & Heraldry A stylized lily composed of three petals bound together near their bases. It is especially known from the former royal arms of France, in which it appears in gold on a blue field.
- The arms were blue, and scattered with the famous gold fleur-de-lys of France.
- This remained the arms of English kings until 1340, when Edward III asserted his claim to the French throne and added the French arms of gold fleur-de-lys scattered on a blue background.
- This is the stemma of the Medici, as established in 1465, with five red roundels - here painted in manganese, since red was not available - and one blue one with three gold fleurs-de-lis.
2A European iris.
- Genus Iris, family Iridaceae, in particular I. × germanica ‘Florentina’ (with bluish-white flowers) or I. pseudacorus (the yellow flag).
- The provincial motto is Je me souviens (I remember), and the flower is the fleur-de-lis.
- I withdraw into my own space, wiggling my toes and poking the soft fleur-de-lis at the end of my tail.
Middle English: from Old French flour de lys 'flower of the lily'.
Words that rhyme with fleur-de-lisabsentee, açai, addressee, adoptee, agree, allottee, amputee, appellee, appointee, appraisee, après-ski, assignee, asylee, attendee, bailee, bain-marie, Bangui, bargee, bawbee, be, Bea, bee, bootee, bouquet garni, bourgeoisie, Brie, BSc, buckshee, Capri, cc, chimpanzee, cohabitee, conferee, consignee, consultee, Cree, debauchee, decree, dedicatee, Dee, degree, deportee, dernier cri, detainee, devisee, devotee, divorcee, draftee, dree, Dundee, dungaree, eau-de-vie, emcee, employee, endorsee, en famille, ennui, enrollee, escapee, esprit, evacuee, examinee, expellee, fee, fiddle-de-dee, flea, flee, foresee, franchisee, free, fusee (US fuzee), Gardaí, garnishee, gee, ghee, glee, goatee, grandee, Grand Prix, grantee, Guarani, guarantee, he, HMRC, indictee, inductee, internee, interviewee, invitee, jamboree, Jaycee, jeu d'esprit, key, knee, Lea, lee, legatee, Leigh, lessee, Ley, licensee, loanee, lychee, manatee, Manichee, maquis, Marie, marquee, me, Midi, mortgagee, MSc, nominee, obligee, Otomi, parolee, Parsee, parti pris, patentee, Pawnee, payee, pea, pee, permittee, plc, plea, pledgee, pollee, presentee, promisee, quay, ratatouille, referee, refugee, releasee, repartee, retiree, returnee, rupee, scot-free, scree, sea, secondee, see, settee, Shanxi, Shawnee, shchi, she, shea, si, sirree, ski, spree, standee, suttee, tant pis, tea, tee, tee-hee, Tennessee, testee, the, thee, three, thuggee, Tiree, Torquay, trainee, Tralee, transferee, tree, Trincomalee, trustee, tutee, twee, Twi, undersea, vestee, vis-à-vis, wagon-lit, Waikiki, warrantee, we, wee, whee, whoopee, ye, yippee, Zuider Zee
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of fleur-de-lis in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.