Definition of flier in English:
1A person or thing that flies, especially in a particular way: a nervous flier
More example sentences
- Concentrate on one airline: Very frequent flyers get more free upgrades, often pay less to buy upgrades, and get preferred treatment on standby upgrade lists.
- On a similar note, a frequent question fliers ask is whether airlines pad their schedules to ensure more on-time arrivals.
- Airlines should be using the valuable data from frequent flyers and other passengers to conduct medical research.
1.1A person who flies something, especially an aircraft.
- MEN who helped to win the war in the air 60 years ago were back behind the controls, as veteran flyers and aircraft took to the skies over York.
- He recently sold the company, where model aircraft fliers can learn the ropes.
- She got her pilot's license in 1948 and became an accomplished stunt flier and test pilot.
1.2 informal A fast-moving person or thing.
- He did not, alas, develop into a real flier; though, as he showed on Friday, he is still usefully quick.
- The other, which has a 3.2-litre V6 developing 211 bhp, is a real flyer.
- They've got pace out wide with Eric Andrews, a real flyer, and a strong pack led by Tim Street, who's done it all.
2A small handbill advertising an event or product.
- The cramped office was completely papered with posters and flyers announcing events and protests for everything conceivable.
- The Festival Committee has recently produced a flier detailing the main events of the Festival week.
- Posters and flyers advertising the clinics and opening times are being put up in doctors' waiting rooms and GPs themselves are being reminded to give their female patients the choice of an alternative service.
take a flyer
- chiefly North American Take a chance.Example sentences
- But, after posting a H / 9 of 10.80 in the FSL, the chance of a team taking a flyer isn't great.
- Given how much I dig that thing, I took a flyer on this one a couple of weeks ago.
- Not that Mr. Slemmons dislikes the work of a previously unknown artist, it's just that he prefers to invest in blue chips rather than take a flyer on a risky biotech stock.