- An area of low-lying ground adjacent to a river, formed mainly of river sediments and subject to flooding.More example sentences
- Lastly the Holocene (10,000 years to present) deposits that occur under Belfast were mainly deposited on the flood plain of the River Lagan.
- The objectors say the problem is that Iburndale Beck runs alongside the land and the area is a low-lying flood plain.
- The most central region culturally and economically is the lowland flood plain of the Mekong River and Tonle Sap Lake.
More definitions of floodplainDefinition of floodplain in:
- The British & World English dictionary